Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Sweaty Palm Discussions

I so need to work on the whole communication thing. Last night, Dave and I talked a lil bit about the whole engagement thing. And when I say we talked 'a lil bit' and not 'alot a bit' it's cuz I clammed up with fear of what he might think about the words coming out of my mouth. Would he run away?? Would he get mad??? Is it a mistake to be talking about this subject??? So while Dave cuddled with me and tried his best to extract my thoughts on the subject, I was rigid with anxiety and sweating profusely from my little hands and feet (but not my face or rest of my body. Go figure!). I need help.

Anyways back to the discussion. I mentioned that I had read some engagement stories on the internet and he asked me if it was making me think. I answered that yes it honestly was. He asked me if it was making me wonder if we'd ever reach that stage and I said yes. He told me that he thinks we will reach that stage someday or else he wouldn't have moved in with me. Plus things are going so well for us. Then he asked if it was making me imagine the various ways he might actually propose. I told him that I do wonder that but not in great detail cuz he could put it in a cereal box and I would bawl and think it was the most romantic proposal ever. The actual way it happens is not so important to me (even though I really hope that it actually is romantic and thoughtful). He then asked me if I was thinking of anything else. After hemming and hawing I finally asked him what his timetable was because maybe he's thinking that he wants to date for 5 years and then think about engagement while I'm thinking a much shorter time frame. I don't know cuz we've never talked about it! He told me not to worry that we are on the same timetable. I'm not really sure what that means since that was the limit to the discussion but I don't think he realizes that I would be happy if we got engaged in the next 8 months.