I'm gonna go see Modest Mouse!!! I'm gonna go see Modest Mouse!!! EEEE!!!
OK. It's official. I have the best bf ever invented. EEEEEE!!!! Last night, he came over for dinner and surprised me with some gorgeous red roses, box of chocolate candies AND a weekend vacation that includes seeing Modest Mouse in Reno!!! WOOOO!! Our plans are to leave Sat. March 5th to South Lake Tahoe (the Nevada side), play in the snow, do some gambling, do some drinking and stay the night in a little mountain lodge. Then on Sunday we'll drive the hour down the mountain to Reno, do some more gambling, do some more drinking, watch a Modest Mouse concert, and stay the night before heading back to reality on Monday. Eeee!!! I can't believe he did this for me ;-D He doesn't even like Modest Mouse. That boy so gets me. This is pretty much my dream Valentine's Day. Yay ;-)
Tonight we're still going to his favorite steakhouse for dinner. I'll give him his gifts then too. I hope that they impress him as much as his gifts impressed me. Actually, I still can't believe that he's doing all this for me. It's like some odd dream that I am finding hard to believe. Especially after my past v-days.
A Short History of my Past Valentine's
I never really had a valentine until I was 19. I did have boyfriends in high school but they never lasted through the month of February. So I always had huge expectations for this day hoping that someone would someday go over the top romantic and make Valentine's Day as special as I imagined it to be.
2000 – I was 19 and had been dating my first serious boyfriend for about 11 months. He went to college in Southern California while I was in my freshman year at a college in Central Cali. I think that he came the weekend before and gave me a small stuffed animal and a single red rose. We were both in college and he was always super poor so it wasn't what I had always hoped for but it wasn't a huge let down either.
2001 – I was with the same boyfriend as the previous year. By this time he had finished his undergrad degree and moved in to my parent's home. I had discovered that he was a huge a** with a temper problem and he treated me like a dog. My parent's saw this too but he was my first real love and we all know how dumb we can be when it comes to puppy love. I'll call him Mr Ugg-Nasty cuz I hate him so much. So for Valentine's Day Mr Ugg-Nasty and I went to the World's Largest Farm Show (in a few towns over from where I went to college) and spent the day with my Dad and little brother looking at farm machinery (remember I grew up on a farm). It was a horrible rainy cold day. We came home and went to go feed the livestock which sucked cuz it was so wet and muddy and the wind would blow the hay right back at you when you tried to toss it into the livestock pen. So I'm wearing a nasty thick flannel and wool jacket, beanie, sweatpants, and mud boots and I'm standing near the water hose to water the livestock. Ugg-Nasty comes up to me and gets down on one knee and proposes to me!!! He gives me this speech about how this is the way he wants to spend the rest of his life and this is the most perfect setting for us to become engaged in. Not romantic at all. He then shows me a ring and I want to cry not cuz I'm so happy but cuz it's the world's smallest diamond fleck that has ever been set. I later found out that it's only 1/8 of a carrot and he bought it for $250. I guess it was the thought that counted. Needless, to say I later realize what a scum bag he is and break up with him later that year.
2002 – I'm single so I spend the day surrounded by all my favorite sorority sisters. We get drunk and attend a huge fraternity party. My happiest Valentine's Day so far (until this year).
2003 – I had been dating Jay for about 5 months but he was still in the bay area and I was still in Central Cali so we didn't get to spend the day together. My v-day gift that year was an ant farm.
2004 – Jay and I were living together. He was complaining about money (he always complains about money) so I suggested that we have a low key night and he cook dinner for me and in return I would pick out a super nice wine for us to drink. I don't remember what Jay cooked but I do remember it wasn't much fun cuz Jay was slaving in the kitchen for most of the night preparing this super complex meal while I sat on the couch by myself.
* NOTE: I feel like a major brat complaining about my past Valentine's Days when I think I should just be lucky that I've had someone to love me on that special day. It's just that I've always been so frustrated that no boy (besides Dave) has ever gotten me. I'm really not that complicated of a person so it's not like they just couldn't figure me out it's just that they didn't try! I'm not into stuffed animals, I don't find watering the sheep to be romantic, I can buy my own ant farm at Toys-R-Us. But Dave did it. He thought of what I would want instead of what he wanted or what is the standard recipe for v-day gifts. I love Modest Mouse. I love weekend getaways. I love Tahoe. I love having fun. And I love that Dave gets me ;-)