Monday, July 25, 2005

Someday ...

So I've been thinking a lot about my ideal wedding (when did I ever stop?). Dave really wants a destination wedding but I don't see that happening considering the health of my older family members and my divorced parents who can't even be in the same room as each other much less a tropical resort. If we weren't able to do the destination wedding, I (and Dave) would want something small, intimate, and budget friendly. Here's what I'm thinking:

Location: Shoreline Center or the Brazilian Room (both are outdoorsey and run by the regional park district so they are CHEAP!)
Number of Guests: 80 (small!)
Colors: I'd want pink and silver/white but I think Dave would like pale blue and sea green better.
Decorations: DIY flowers and candle centerpieces. The room and it's view wouldn't need a lot.
Food: Nothing super fancy. I'm thinking that I'd love to have a lunch time reception so that everyone could fully enjoy the beauty of the location in the daylight. The only must have is a chocolate fountain!
Cake: Simple. Safeway has these super cute cakes they've started making.
Music: No dancing since I REALLY can't imagine my family dancing at a wedding. I think it would be really neat to have a steel drums band playing as background music through out the reception. First dance (and the only dance) would be to something Bob Marley like One Love or Stir It Up.
After Party: I'd love to have a party trolley after the wedding as a post wedding celebration for our friends to get crazy and drunk at (especially since our friends love to get crazy and drunk!). Bar hopping and dancing through the streets of San Francisco.
Honeymoon: 2 weeks in Costa Rica

Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll be wedding planning any time soon. Dave and I had a detailed discussion on finances this weekend since Dave's trust fund became available to him on his 30th birthday. In the past I had always known about Dave's credit union savings account which has some money in it but not enough for an engagement ring. Well ... I found out this weekend that Dave has several accounts, CDs and mutual funds with money easily available in them. The boy has more then $20,000 saved! I'm really proud of him but at the same time I'm kind of bummed cuz him buying an engagement ring is no longer an issue of saving money as I had previously thought. Now it's just a waiting game for me to sit patiently until he becomes ready to marry me ;-/