Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Story of 3 Couples

Once upon a time there were 3 couples who all began dating about the same time (August 2004). All 6 people were about the same age (4 were late 20s and 2 were mid 20s). All had good jobs.

The 1st couple is Dave and me.

The 2nd couple is Chris and Kathleen. Chris and Kathleen work together at the same corporate office that Dave works at and had been both been married before. Both are in their late 20s. Their relationship progressed rather fast. They began living together after dating only 2 months. This didn't bother me since Chris & Kathleen were both more experienced in relationships then Dave and I were. Plus I kinda thought that they were moving just a lil bit faster than I wanted Dave and me to move. After dating for 6 months, Chris and Kathleen broke up due to mostly past baggage.

The 3rd couple is Ryan and Tamar. Ryan is the same age as Dave (29) while Tamar is the same age as me (25-ish). Both live and work in the city in the banking industry. When Ryan and Tamar began living together in February it made me a bit upset. Mostly because at the time I was wishing that Dave and I would live together and that Dave would take the first step and ask me to move in with him.

Dave and I just found out yesterday that after taking a vacation to Hawaii, Ryan and Tamar are engaged and will be married next fall. Engaged!! Oye Vey. I can't even began to describe how crushed I was after hearing this news. Not because I wanted to be the 1st couple to be engaged or even because I think Dave and I are ready for engagement. I think what bothers me is that Dave and I don't even talk about marriage. He has told me that someday he would like to be married and that we're dating and heading towards marriage someday (or else we wouldn't be dating). But we don't really talk about OUR future, marriage and all that involves. Does Dave think of me as being 'The One'???? I must admit that we are moving in together and that is a HUGE step and maybe this will lead to future discussions so I want to be patient. But I'm still crushed. And a bit angry for some reason. It didn't help that last night I was watched the episode of Sex in the City where Carrie gets engaged and is given the perfect ring. I know that it will all happen in due time but I'm left wondering when my time will be???