
There are a million ways I could write this update. I could talk about how my birthday was last week and since Dave was out of town on a business trip, my best friend flew down from Portland to spend 4 days with me. Although she graduated from college with a degree in communications she has had trouble finding a job in the rural area of Portland that she lives so we made our 4 days together a practice in frugality. We ate dinner one night using a gift card that I had been given for Christmas. Packed our lunch and ate it while sunning ourselves and reading library books on the beach. Ate dinner on my actual birthday for almost free. We went to several nice restaurants, sat at the bar, and told anyone who talked to us that it was my birthday which resulted in several free drinks and appetizers. By the end of the night we were both drunk and full off good food. And Dave being the wonder husband that he is gave me a gift certificate for a message at a day spa in La Jolla. The part that makes him a wonder husband is that on the gift card he also included enough money for a one-hour massage for my best friend. All in all it was a beautifully sunny, wonderful weekend that resulted in me missing her like crazy when it was time to drive her to the airport. Good friends make me happy.
I could also tell you how I ended up at the San Diego airport 5 times in 6 days. Once to fly to Sacramento for a last minute meeting. Next day to fly back and drive home. Third day to pick up my best friend from the airport. Fifth day to pick up Dave from the airport. And the 6th day to drive my best friend back to the airport so she could fly home.
Lastly I could tell you about the little cafe on the beach we ate at for breakfast two days in a row. The food was incredibly good and also incredibly cheap. By the end of the first day we couldn't stop talking about the poached eggs we had for breakfast earlier and so decided to go back again the next day and spend a leisurely morning sitting in the sun with the beach wind on our face. Unfortunately, we happened to be the two ugliest and fattest people in the whole restaurant which seems to happen quite a lot in San Diego. Somehow, someway San Diego is filled with gorgeous people who are tall, gorgeous, and toned (even if they have 2 or 3 kids). How they achieve this is beyond me since I know I spend countless hours each week at the gym, watch what I eat, and spend hundreds of dollars each month getting my hair cut, eyebrows shaped, body parts waxed, and nails done. I would conservatively estimate that I am better looking than 50% of the population across the Nation and my best friend is better looking then 70% of the Nation. Yet here we were in a little cafe on the beach, looking like the ugly step sisters in the corner after impossibly thin blond after impossibly thin blond walked past our table. It was almost enough to send me on a carb free diet in an attempt to lose weight. Word to the wise, if you're ever in search of a date then don't come to San Diego unless you look like Heidi and Lauren from The Hills.