Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Goodbye Kitchen!

Do you ever have those "oh sh*t! moments"? Sunday morning Dave and I were sitting on the couch reading the paper. After 5 days off from work (3 days plus weekend) I was looking forward to my final day off from work relaxing on the couch and catching up on tivo'd shows. So I'm reading the Sunday paper when I look up at our kitchen and realize with sudden clarity that the demo of our kitchen is set to begin on Tuesday and we haven't done anything to prepare. Instead of the relaxing Sunday I was looking forward to, I spent it boxing everything in the cabinets and trying to decide what could be packed for the next 4-6 weeks and what we would absolutely need. I then tried to create a makeshift kitchen in our dining room that would allow us to make dinner every night without the use of an oven, stove, kitchen sink or dishwasher. Dave and I cook at home quite often and we both knew that 30 days of take out would leave us feeling salty and rather unhealthy. We'll see though. Last night we tried to cook using our limited kitchen and it was such a huge inconvenience that we might just give up and not bother with the juggling act that is required to make a meal and subsequent washing of dishes in the courtyard using a bucket and garden hose.

Goodbye Kitchen. Even though you were completely outdated, a huge part of me will miss you especially over these next 6 weeks.



This wall is coming down so that the kitchen opens up to the living room.

Our makeshift kitchen.

Demolition begins.