Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Keeping It Real

Things your Mom didn't tell you (but really should have):
* Your first love will most likely grow up to be a total loser. In high school he was probably the shit but as we all know that the requirements for being cool in grades 9-12 are not often the qualities that enable someone to make it in the real world. There are very few exceptions to the rule.
* Giving birth is nasty messy (think blood and poop TOGETHER). Not that I know this first hand but I've read enough blogs to know this is true.
* Breast feeding is really hard. Again not something I know first hand but I've watched enough TLC Baby Story to know this is true.
* Making dinner every night, night after night SUCKS. Luckily we have enough room in the budget for me to become a whiny baby every week (or more) but if not then I would be moaning all the time about cooking (and I like cooking).

Most importantly, the one thing your mom didn't tell you but probably should have: Marriage. Is. Hard.

Now I'm not saying that Dave and I are having issues. In fact we're just as happy as we've always been for the most part. As we all know every relationship has it's highs and lows. There is nothing to be ashamed of in that. Sometimes the highs (like in the beginning) are enough to keep a smile on your face all day and sometimes the lows are enough to make you lock the office door while you frantically call your best friends to dissect his a-hole tendencies. Other times the highs are great and the lows are sad but are less like mountains and more like rolling hills.

The hardest part of marriage (for me at least): THIS IS FOREVER. You know that annoying way he starts projects but doesn't finish them? FOREVER. How he can kinda be selfish in bed sometimes? FOREVER. How he conveniently sucks at doing the dishes? FOREVER. Yep, all minor things but mind-numbing when I'm experiencing them and thinking to myself "yay! only 40 more years of nagging him to re-attach the fire detector after taking it down to paint 6 MONTHS AGO".

Really I should be thankful. I've found someone who loves me just as much as I love him. Someone who is good with his money, honest, loving, hard working, successful, and rubs my back each night. Someone who is tall, blue-eyed, athletic, and and makes me laugh. Still for the rest of my life I will be turning on the AC behind his back and then turning it off as the house finally reaches a pleasant temp because his eyes are bulging out of his head at the anticipation of the e-bill being higher then $30. Oh joy.

In other news, I want this car. Way out of my price league but still a girl can dream.
Lexus SC 08 Hard Top Convertible