Many people look to music as the fuel for their soul. I appreciate music but have always found that reading books is what I need to keep me sane and happy. I am most as ease with life when I am curled on the couch, with a good read, and a green tea. If I was ever exiled to an exotic island, these are the books that I would bring with me to keep me entertained.
Honorable Mention: Epitaph for a Peach by David M. Masumoto – Not on my top 10 list because it is the one book that I wouldn’t recommend for the average reader. The true life tale of a peach farmer in the Central Valley of California as he struggles to survive the first few years of farming. A place and a subject (agriculture) that is dear to my heart.
10. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – This might be the first great work of fiction that I really truly appreciated. Throughout my schooling I always enjoyed reading the books that were assigned in English, but never became enthralled with a book until I read this one at the age of 18. A true classic that I can always go back to and read with enthusiasm.
9. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway – What is it about Hemingway that attracts me time and again to his stories and style of writing? I don’t know but this is one of my favorite Hemingway novels.
8. The Servant: A Simple Story About the True Essence of Leadership by James C. Hunter – This book changed the way I live my life at work and at home. An entertaining tale of how we should always strive to serve others and give them what they need (which is different from what they want).
7. Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner – I appreciate chick lit just as much as the next person but often find the stories to be mindless reads that occupy my heart but not my brain. Good in Bed is different. A story that made me cry, laugh, and ache. So good that I stayed up all night just to finish the story.
6. East of Eden by John Steinbeck – Gosh I love me some Steinbeck. East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath are a tie in my heart for favorites. Classic tales filled with characters that I fell in love with.
5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – It took me a while to get into the grove of the author’s antique speech and cadence, but once I did I fell in love with this tragic tale. I love most Victorian classics but this is far and above my favorite.
4. Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman – A very short book filled with entertaining stories that made me stop and think much more then I ever had.
3. Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer – These books are not higher on my list only because I don’t know how the series will finish. As I said in my post before, a tale that engulfs you in a land filled with romance and mystery.
2. Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling – There is definitely a reason why so many people across the world fell in love with the story of a young wizard.
1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger – If there was one book that I could go out and force you to read, this would be it. A tale so haunting and memorable that I have never ever re-read this book. To this day (one year after first reading the book) I’m not sure that I could yet go back and re-read. This book is like the tragic tale of a friend you love and enjoy who suddenly is ripped from your life. The reason I have never re-read this book is because I don’t know if I can go through that journey of emotional turmoil yet again.