Saturday, April 19, 2008

Call me Mrs Butler

One of my most vivid memories is of attending the Phantom of the Opera musical in 1992 at a famous play house in LA. I was 12 years old at the time and the musical was a special night field trip for the honors students at my middle school. We were told to dress up and at the time I was at a fashion challenged age and my mother has never been into dressing up or fashion (to be honest growing up on a farm there is little reason for a dressing up). That night I ended up wearing my mom's turquoise turtleneck sweater that was a size too large for me and black jordache jeans. I wish so badly that I could go back in time and take my 12 year old self to the mall so I didn't look like quite a doofus. As we were being seated at the theatre I remember wishing and hoping with all my might that a certain cute boy in my class would sit next to me and hold my hand. I think I actually did end up sitting next to that cute boy but there was no romantic advances. The one thing I remember most vividly is the chandelier falling right before the intermission. I was shocked (as anyone who watches the play for the first time is). When I came home I couldn't stop singing the songs or reliving the best parts of the play over and over in my mind.

I watched the 2004 film version of the play this weekend. It's been in my netflix queue for quite some time but I haven't been motivated to watch it until we went to Las Vegas and there was several billboards up announcing a new LV version of the play. I had forgotten quite a bit of the storyline even though I remember much of the songs. The film version was so good and brought back so many memories for me that I've watched it twice so far. The second time I guilt tripped my hubby into watching it with me. I can't stop waltzing across the house singing masquerade! at the top of my lungs. What a great film. The only disappointment for me is that Christine did not choose the Phantom at the end of the story. I know he's evil and all but Gerard Butler as the Phantom is one HOT pantie dropper. I would marry him and have his babies any day. N'est-ce pas?







PS - Total weekend watch count - 5. Minor addiction.