One of my biggest regrets after living in the SF Bay Area was that I never took advantage of the nearby UC Berkeley and the extension classes offered. So after moving to San Diego (home to 8 major universities and dozens of smaller colleges) I promised myself that I would continue my education (for fun) and try to take a class every semester. I've lived here for almost two years and have yet to take one class (although in my defense I did register for a class last semester and it was canceled at the last minute). A few months ago I bit the bullet and signed up for a French class at a college that is 15 minutes away from my house. I wanted to take French because I've always been interested in the language and we might need it should we ever commit to a long stay in Switzerland (location of Hubby's International HQ).
My first class was last night and already I am feeling overwhelmed and debating whether I should quit. Maybe it's because I am feeling a little rusty and the book learning portion of my brain hasn't been used in 5 years. Maybe it's because the French language is much harder then I imagined and very few words are actually pronounced how they are spelled (example number 4 = quatre but pronounced like kat). Maybe it's because my bilingual mouth keeps confusing Spanish and French and what comes out is a Spanish French English hybrid (example: soy suis Cori y quero deux kittens). Maybe I am just burnt out after the fires and I need a few months where I can work til 4pm, go to the gym, come home and JUST VEG for the rest of the evening. Or maybe I am just being a big baby and if I keep at it for the next few weeks I will begin to really enjoy myself and the fact that I am becoming tri-lingual. What do you think? (see poll in side bar and VOTE! I really am confused as to what I should do and would love advice).