Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Right wing, left wing, chicken wing


You know that feeling you get after you've just had a fantastically fun time? A bit of the ho-hum blues when you realize that the moment you just had will.never.happen.again. *sigh* Last night Dave and I went to the Modest Mouse concert. Easily it was the 2nd best concert that I have ever attended (1st is the Dave & Friends concert at Oakland Coliseum which was a once in a lifetime opportunity where I was just the right amount of inebriated and had 8th row seats).

I was hesitant about going to the concert as it was held at an open seating concert hall and Modest Mouse is notorious for being too drunk to perform which is why I've never seen MM in the past even though I have loved their music since 2003. Dave and I got there 30 minutes before the opening act because I wanted a good spot and Matt Costa was the opener (Me + Matt Costa = Forever). As soon as I found out that Matt Costa was the opener I should have realized that the stars were aligned and this concert was made especially for me. For those of you who are unfamiliar, Matt Costa is more like Jack Johnson (he makes me want to surf, smoke some up, then eat a breakfast burrito) while MM is just so spastic (they make me want to take a long drive while singing at the top of my lungs). Two great styles (in my book) but not exactly two types of bands that you expect to support each other.

Matt Costa was fantastic. His voice was pure loveliness and the crowd was very polite even though Matt is still relatively unknown and I think I was the only one in the crowd who could actually sing along to his songs. MM began to perform after an obscenely long set change during which 2 drum kits and a stand up bass were brought out. For once Isaac Brock (the lead singer) wasn't doped out of his mind and could actually sing the songs well and with understandable lyrics. The two drummers (who were beating their little hearts out) combined with the guitar god Johnny Marr and a on-top-of-his game Brock made for a spectacular concert. The set list was just the right combo of classics from their early days combined with songs off their new album. They jammed out and funked up some of their songs but didn't spend half the concert going off on some musical tangent *cough* DMB *cough*. It was just the perfect type of concert where the music infuses your soul and makes you dance and sing without consciously realizing what you are doing. *sigh* All in all it was a perfect evening and I am so sad that no recording was made of the concert because I would love listen to it and over and over while reliving the concert.

If you haven't done so already: fall in love with Modest Mouse.