
When Dave first graduated college he worked for Makita Tools in their marketing division and as a result he became the proud owner of almost all the top of the line tools Makita has to offer. This is great now that we are first time home owners and need to do some type of home improvement on a regular basis.
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen so this weekend I've been playing around on Ikea's on-line planner tool trying to lay out the kitchen cabinets. I was stomping around in the garage trying to find a tape measure and getting progressively pissy that no tape measures were to be found when I threw open one of the garage cabinets and discovered that it was empty. Bare. The cabinet we use to store all the Makita tools. Barren. We have lots of bright teal Makita tools and for all of them to be missing from the cabinet is a bit jaw dropping to see. I keep our garage very clean so I took a quick spin around the garage to make sure they weren't sitting on top of the washing machine. Nope. Missing.
Dave and I searched the house and garage again and sure enough they were no where to be found which means that someone came into our garage and burglarized us most likely when we were home. This thought has been so unsettling to me. Not only because we live in a private country club and you just assume that you are safe but also to think that someone might have invaded our personal property (regardless if we were home at the time). Even scarier is the thought that since only our Makita tools were taken that likely someone "cased" our home and had watched us for awhile to determine where the good stuff was. Creepy.
I've been so busy at work so we haven't done any home improvement projects in some time so Dave and I were trying to rack our brains to determine when the tools might have been stolen. Luckily, I took pics of the entire house during the fire (in case it burned down) and in those pictures I found many of the garage and the tools. That means that the person who stole from us targeted us within the last 6 weeks. Scary.
Luckily, we have a home alarm and plan on using it a lot more in the future. Still I find myself in a very sad mood to think that there are people out there who invade others and take things that aren't theirs. Errr ....