Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dispatch from the Goddess

Last night Dave and I braved the Comic Con crowds and went downtown to see a theatre production of Phantom of the Opera. Comic Com always seems to bring the crazies to San Diego. Last year it was a giant raspberry which turned out to be a cartoon character named Meatwad. This year it was eating at Yard House seated next to a group of people who were dressed in business suits but covered in fake blood. I didn't have the heart to ask them what characters they were supposed to be. Then after the play was over we walked to our car and were greeted in the parking garage's elevator by 3 people who were dressed like characters from the video game Zelda. They had a movie camera and were filming us and kept calling me Goddess. Luckily I grew up near LA and having a stranger's film camera stuck in my face doesn't bother me as much as it might bother others. Plus the Goddess part didn't hurt either. Unfortunately, Dave and I didn't ask them what the filming was for and we will probably be credited as "Random Parking Garage Patron and his Goddess". I wonder if that's enough to have an imdb profile created for me?

The play was quite pleasant except Dave and I didn't get the memo that people in San Diego wear all black to the theatre. I've been to the theatre in LA (when I was young) and people wore formal dresses but they were in all sorts of colors. And in San Francisco people tend to be very laid back and come to the theatre in khakis and sun dresses. I was quite surprised by the sea of people in black waiting to enter the theatre. I was wearing a turquoise/brown skirt and Dave was wearing khakis and a polo shirt. I felt under dressed this time but am excited to go again and break out a few of my black dresses.