Thursday, July 05, 2007

Spanglish

Hola

It's been uno week since we got back from Mexico and I'm having a muy dificil time getting out of the hablar espanol mode of thinking. I can comprende espanol fairly well and can hablar my thoughts decently bueno using basic spanish. Just don't ask me to use past or futuro tense because then I clam up and begin stammering. Over the past week, Dave and I have taken to slaughtering both the espanol and ingles languages by speaking a spanglish hybrid. Complicating matters even worse is that I am currently reading Three Junes by Julia Glass which contains the occasional french. Every so often my speech is peppered with "comme ca" and other popular french phrases which I mispronounce.

Lately, I haven't posted because I've been feeling a little blue and down trodden. I can deal with the type of stress that involves impossible deadlines, tediousness, and running around like a cat with my head cut off. In fact I thrive off that type of stress! But the minute you add people stress in to my life, I fall apart. In recent weeks in both my work and family life I've experienced people acting passive aggressively and it tears me apart! Passive aggressiveness has always been a special pet peeve of mine that borders on instant contempt (to me it means that you are a weak person who doesn't have the self esteem to stand up for things and instead have to be deceitful to get what you want). Unfortunately, I just can't run away from work or family problems so instead I am forced to endure other's actions. To help myself cope I've been trying to repeat the Serenity Prayer. Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference So far it hasn't been working. C'est la vie (or so I'd like to pretend).