Monday, November 19, 2007

Breaking Point


On Friday I gave four media interviews. Two of them were over the phone interviews for newspapers, one was for the local ABC affiliate, and the other was an in person interview for a regional news radio program. I sucked in all of them.

Previous to Friday, my media resume had consisted of two different experiences. In the first I shot a 15 minute fluff piece for a special that aired on PBS. It took a whole day to shoot the piece during which I was ordered to walk here, walk back, pretend to explain something to someone else, smile, play dead, etc. Most of the piece was going to be pre-written voice over work so the amount of questions that I had to spontaneously answer was minimal. Plus I had 2 public affairs specialists on-site watching my every move on camera, therefore I never felt nervous since I knew if I fumbled my words they would both pop up and feed me lines.

In the other previous experience I was emailed a list of questions a week before hand so that I could formulate my response. The whole time I was being interviewed I pretty much read my response verbatim and then afterwards handed over my written answers so that everything could be transcribed correctly.

Lesson Learned: I do well when someone holds my hand.

During the phone interviews I was given no advance warning. So in effect they went something like this:
Me: *drawing a map, rocking out to Coldplay, probably thinking about what I will eat for lunch*
Phone: Ring, Ring!
Me: What up? (Just kidding! I answer the phone like an adult)
Phone: Hi, My name is Debbie Downer from Serious Newspaper and I have a few questions for you.
Me: *fumble response, drool, bang head against computer*

The TV interview was worse since my State Head Honcho left it up to me to present for 10 minutes in front of a packed press conference during which everyone else who presented was the head of their federal or state agency. Actually, I am thankful for him giving me the opportunity to present since it shows that he trusts and respects me plus he was by my side the entire time so it's not like he fed me to the wolves. Point being: it was a massive press conference, lots of tv cameras and reporters, and angry people who have lost everything in the fires. As soon as everything ended I was happy as a clam since I had been nervous to the point of throwing up but as soon as I got up to the podium I was overcome by the ghost of George Washington and magically became this poised speaker. Bottom line was I rocked.

Then a news personality sweeps me to the side as I'm limping off the stage and drags me to a corner so that they can get a one-on-one interview. Have you ever had a giant camera stuck in your face while someone asks you difficult questions? Not easy. I ended up stumbling through the entire interview while at the same time shadily shifting my eyes back-and-forth toward the camera man since he was standing mere inches from my face. Thanks dude. The radio interviewer dragged me away as soon as the TV person had chewed me up and spit me out. At that point I didn't have much left in me.

I think I'm gonna need media training since my agency has pledged a bazillion jillion dollars towards fire recovery work on private lands and I have a feeling that there will be more interviews in my future. Today has already been nasty crazy and I am just about ready to hide under my desk and cry until everyone goes away and leaves me alone.